Website New Beginnings
Full Job Description
Make a difference in the lives of homeless youth! We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applicants from diverse racial, ethnic, sexual and gender identity, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
We are hiring talented and enthusiastic people who are committed to making a difference for homeless youth in Maine. For over 40 years, New Beginnings has helped children, teens, and young adults find safety, build connections, and access the opportunities for growth that they need to thrive. Our comprehensive services prevent young people from becoming homeless, support struggling families, and help vulnerable youth grow into stable and healthy adults.
The Youth Worker staffs the Drop-In Center for street youth. Plans and conducts recreational, cultural, social, and youth development activities in conjunction with youth. Provides crisis intervention, information and referral, and basic needs for adolescents who are experiencing or are at-risk of experiencing homelessness and/or trafficking/exploitation. Performs street outreach services to locate youth and young adults who are disconnected from traditional services. Maintains an atmosphere of trust, respect, and equity with youth in all service provision.
- Establish supportive relationships with homeless/street youth
- Develop and assist in facilitating groups and other activities
- Assist youth with basic daily living needs, referrals to housing and other services, and provide practical assistance (access to hot meals, basic needs items, transportation, etc.) as needed
- Assist in staffing the Drop-In Center
- Complete intakes, screening and needs assessments
- Provide street outreach (on foot and in our van) in Lewiston-Auburn and surrounding areas
Bachelor’s degree in human services related field strongly preferred. Experience working with youth, preferably in a non-residential setting.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest and relevant experience along with your résumé.
This posting is for one 32-hour-per-week position covering Thursday thru Sunday, with Monday thru Wednesday off; benefits are employer paid. Hours are 9:00AM-5:30PM. This position is part of the programs expansion to 7-day-per-week services. Salary DOE.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $17.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Thursday- Sunday 9am – 5:30pm (32 hours a week)
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lewiston, ME 04240: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Driver’s License (Required)